This page is a DRAFT!
Main Categorization of Games
In order for the tag system to be really useful, in some cases we need to narrow the definition of some words / genres. Here’s a list of some tag (combinations) and what games they should represent:
- beatemup – Double Dragon and similar – not Street Fighter II (see fighting).
- fighting – Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, etc
- shootemup – this one is restricted to a special type of shooters (Project-X, Xenon 2, SWIV, etc). It should not include overhead games where you control a solder or similar and can shoot in any direction – ask if unsure!
- shootemup, vertical – Xenon 2, SWIV
- shootemup, horizontal – Project-X, Apidya, Disposable Hero
- racing, topdown – Nitro, Supercars
- racing, behind – Lotus Turbo Challenge II
- racing, cockpit – Test Drive
Genre Keywords / Tags (Examples)
This online database will most likely not try to group games into discrete categories (genres). Instead, a set of genre keywords will (probably) be used to organize the games. Here are some examples of what this may look like (note, the headings used here have no significance):
- Lotus 2: Racing, Cars, Behind, Competitive, Time-Limit, Split-Screen
- Rajd Przez Polskę: Racing, Cars, Behind, Humour/Fun,
- Addams Family: Platform, TV, Scary, Humour/Fun
- Rick Rangerous: Platform, Shooter, Humour/Fun
- Superfrog: Platform, JumpOnThings, Cartoonish, Cute
- Turrican: Platform, Shooter, Sci-Fi
- Banshee: Shooter, SteamPunk, Vertical, AutoScroll
- The Chaos Engine: Shooter, SteamPunk, TopDown
- Dogs of War: Shooter, Horizontal
- Cadaver: Action-Adventure, Fantasy, Isometric
- Syndicate: Strategy, Action, Tactical, Squad, Realistic, Realtime, Sci-Fi
- UFO – Enemy Uknown: Strategy, Tactical, Squad, Realistic, Turn-Based, Sci-Fi
- The Secret of Monkey Island: Adventure, Point-and-Click, Humorous
- Strip Poker: Adult, Nudity, Cards
- Gem’X: Puzzle, Anime, Time-Limit
- Arkanoid: Reaction, Bat and Ball
Here are some tags which has been suggested by database users:
- Run-and-gun (Turrican, etc)
- Gauntlet (Gauntlet-style games, such as The Chaos Engine).
Suggested Tags / Keywords
While games are not associated with a single genre/tag, most, if not all games should include at least one of these tags (list is not complete yet):
- Sport (non-motor)
Sub-genre / Additional specifications
Some games have a certain sub-genre or an additional specification that goes along with the main genre. Common examples would be ‘Adventure, Action’ or ‘Reaction, Bat and Ball’.
- Bat and Ball
Most games feature a certain theme (or more than one). For sport games that could be ‘Football/Soccer’ or ‘Olympics’, while for a racing game it’s most likely ‘Cars’, ‘Motorbikes’ or ‘Airplanes’. More general theme tags are ‘Fantasy’, ‘Sci-Fi’ or ‘Cartoon’.
- WW1 (World War I) or WW2
Sport specific themes:
- American Football
Racing specific themes:
Viewpoint and scrolling
Most games can be classified by a viewpoint and a way to scroll the screen.
(should only be used for games that match the common ‘2.5D’ definition: Wikipedia)
- Behind (aka Third Person)
- First Person
- Split-Screen (additional)
- Top Down
A viewpoint should only be given to describe a genre that has several of them more clearly (like racing or shooter), but not be used to categorise a genre (for example all pinball games are ‘Top Down’ and thus the tag isn’t needed for these). Furthermore a game can have multiple viewpoints, but if for example ‘Top Down’ is only used for a map screen it should be omitted.
- Autoscroll (additional to any of the following)
- Into Screen
Scrolling should be used to describe mainly scrolling games. When an adventure scrolls the background horizontally it’s still not a mainly horizontally scrolling game and as such the tag should be omitted here. Multi directional scrolling should only be used if horizontal and vertical scrolling is used in almost the same amount. A mainly horizontal scrolling game that let’s you scroll around a screen height up and down shouldn’t be classified as multi directional for example.
For multiplayer games, please add one or more of the following:
- competitive – two or more human players can play against each other – they should be able to interact or affect each other in some way.
- cooperative – two or more human players work together to beat the game (even when you have separate scoring?)
- solitaire – you play against each other, but separately (either physically separated or playing by turns, and one player’s actions can not affect the other one). Most likely, you compare results (best time, highest score).
Various others keywords can be used to describe a game better. A lot of additional tags can be used, but in general only two or three main keywords should be used for each game.
- shop – you can purchase items and upgrades (for your vehicle or character) during the game. (Xenon 2, Gods, Kid Gloves, Nitro, Super Cars II, Flimbo’s Quest!, Leander).
- squad/team – you control a squad/team instead of a single person in the game (mainly for strategy and RPG games)
Please comment on which keywords/tags and categories of them you think are missing and should be added.